* News!

Happy Hanukkah!
whack on October 04, 2013, 10:12:39 PM
Deployed
  • I'm a Boot!
They are like, constantly at odds with each other. And I am like @@
I don't even know what "hippies" originate from.

Rerun0369 on October 04, 2013, 10:48:11 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Troll Bn Female Analist
Cool story bro.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore

GooglyMooglyCplType on October 04, 2013, 11:03:19 PM
Terminal Lance
Hippies were from the 1960s...they just did a lot of hallucinogens and dressed in a certain way and it was a movement to listen to music and get out of your mind. Im sure there were hippies drafted to Vietnam so the they arent really two things that oppose each other or have anything to do with each other besides in this context. I guess during the war the people who treated the soldiers coming home like shit were part of the movement, but i dont think that they actively clash with each other. Not all soldiers are pro war and not all hippies are  completely anti war and the music of the movement was something everyone listened to.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:05:20 PM by GooglyMooglyCplType »
2005-2009--OEF (Korengal Valley) & OIF (Haditha)--0311/0331--1st Battalion/3rd Marines

nrdsgtbck101 on October 05, 2013, 12:00:23 AM
Deployed
  • You don't get more POG than this...
Why didn't the Nazis get along with the Jews? Thread is dildos.
Pull ups...Flexed arm hang...until they start letting me suck cock for chevrons, rockers, and awards, I can't give a fuck.

GooglyMooglyCplType on October 05, 2013, 12:19:43 AM
Terminal Lance
Why didn't the Nazis get along with the Jews? Thread is dildos.

Agreed, but i guess we are bored enough to give it a response.
2005-2009--OEF (Korengal Valley) & OIF (Haditha)--0311/0331--1st Battalion/3rd Marines

First Strike Deadly on October 05, 2013, 01:44:01 AM
Terminal Lance
Because Bob Dylan banged Douglas MacArthur's girlfriend.

ArchivesGrunt on October 05, 2013, 03:40:44 PM
Recruit
  • I'm a Boot!
Maybe it's a jungian thing?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEViYvojtY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEViYvojtY</a>

whack on October 06, 2013, 03:44:32 AM
Deployed
  • I'm a Boot!
I'm not American; I didn't learn anything about hippies and war!
Thanks for bothering to answer though. Guess I've got to search some more.

VJmagnum on October 06, 2013, 09:32:24 AM
Terminal Lance
  • Operator, Routine Ops
  • Fuck, no bug fuck?
I don't think hippies and the people in the military didn't get a long... they had a lot in common... During Vietnam hippies used drugs and people in the military used drugs, hippies liked sex and we all know men in the military will fuck anything... hippies like rock music... fuck everyone likes rock music... hippies were for peace not war and I'd say the people who served in Vietnam hated war more than the hippies.. think of the roots of the short timers calendar... hippies had long girl hair military people wanted long hair but it was against regs for the military... I think you are confusing hippies and politicians not the military... go to the VFW and talk to the Vietnam vets... they will give you true scoop...
Marines against war is like Christians against Christ

gear queer deluxe on October 06, 2013, 01:58:44 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Hop in my brodozer, I've got monsters and dip and 5finger boot punch.
If you want a example of a modern hippy, just watch the rob riggle daily show Berkeley skit where the chick says agree's to "well if there wasn't any cops, there wouldn't be any crime" thing and she says "potentially".

To me, hippies are everything the whole post modern, subjectivist, "we all have our own truths" bullshit personified. The mandatory tolerance, victimist, participation trophy,  "its not me, it's my syndrome" crap.

Fuck hippies.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

“I think it’s important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration”

Drunk Uncle PI on October 06, 2013, 02:29:49 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Terminal Drunk PI Troll PMO TB XO (AKA MOLES BITCH)
It's all about the hair!

Pendejo maricon desgraciado
5.9lcummins: my county married the first queers today
Today at 06:40:14 AM
5.9lcummins: flew a rainbow flag over the courthouse all day

VJmagnum on October 06, 2013, 03:18:22 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Operator, Routine Ops
  • Fuck, no bug fuck?

If you want a example of a modern hippy, just watch the rob riggle daily show Berkeley skit where the chick says agree's to "well if there wasn't any cops, there wouldn't be any crime" thing and she says "potentially".

To me, hippies are everything the whole post modern, subjectivist, "we all have our own truths" bullshit personified. The mandatory tolerance, victimist, participation trophy,  "its not me, it's my syndrome" crap.

Fuck hippies.

A case could be made that the hippies are why we have an all volunteer military

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Marines against war is like Christians against Christ

gear queer deluxe on October 06, 2013, 03:26:36 PM
Terminal Lance

Fuck hippies.

A case could be made that the hippies are why we have an all volunteer military

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We dont. Its called selective services and every 18yo male gets that letter in the mail unless you done go and enlist first and beat them to the punch. Wait for a legitimate war and tell me it's voluntary. You will be doing so from an IP in Canada.

“I think it’s important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration”

ACE on October 06, 2013, 05:11:39 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Some random old guy.
  • F**K em' they can't take a joke.
You have asked a complex question. It is hippies vs politicos really. The two were very diferent in the begining of thier "movements" but the line between the two began to blur due to some sharred belifes and similar apperance. Both could be found at the "peace" protests in the 60's and both groups got refered to as "Hippies" and still are to the point that there is little if any line anymore.
The difference was.....

Hippies-
believed in utopian comunes were they could drop out of society, live as one with nature, do drugs, love(have sex) with everyone, and be at complete Peace with the universe. They did not hate anything our act out much and practiced non-violence if they did.

Politicos-
These are the assholes the military hates. They were self titled "revolutionaries" and "resistence fighters" they did things like throw dog shit at returning soldiers, make calls to the familys of KIA soldiers and tell them how glad they were that thier son was killed, blow up campus and government buildings, and rob banks to fund thier "movements". They pretty much hated everyone that did not share thier views.

These are some pretty simplistic descriptions but hopefully it gives you some idea. Both groups are somewhere between unrealistic and totaly insane.

sent from yonder hill top using smoke signals

npr on October 06, 2013, 08:19:15 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Troll BN X- OOO SHINY!
  • Semper Fudge
Long story short, neither side respects the others' views
대한민국 화이팅!

HardCoreTurtle on October 06, 2013, 08:45:07 PM
Are we talking about past hippies or present ones? Present hippies are fucking retarded. These are the people that think George Bush planned 9/11. They also generally hate all law enforcement, which is usually because they're probably doing something illegal, and not because they're victims of police brutality.

Past hippies were opposed to a war that most of the people fighting it didn't believe in. Yah they were kinda dirty and shit but it's not like a lot of them stayed that way, vast majority didn't. Most past hippies are fully functioning members of society today, and aren't anti-military in the slightest, at least as a group.

gear queer deluxe on October 06, 2013, 09:05:26 PM
Terminal Lance

Politicos-
These are the assholes the military hates. They were self titled "revolutionaries" and "resistence fighters" they did things like throw dog shit at returning soldiers, make calls to the familys of KIA soldiers and tell them how glad they were that thier son was killed, blow up campus and government buildings, and rob banks to fund thier "movements". They pretty much hated everyone that did not share thier views.

Weather Underground.

Also sounds a lot like the militant tolerance types of now.

Machinedummer on October 06, 2013, 09:23:51 PM
Deployed
I thought Hipsters were the new Hippies?

Which group films cops and cry injustice when they ask them to stop filming them.

Loderi on October 06, 2013, 10:06:33 PM
Terminal Lance
  • I'm a Boot!
I thought Hipsters were the new Hippies?

Which group films cops and cry injustice when they ask them to stop filming them.

Naaaah.

Hippies came by their weird clothing and drug use honestly. They honestly just didn't give a damn about conventional clean-cut styling. The activist sorts were earnestly concerned about the war.

Hipsters are ironic. Those lumberjack beards, waxed mustaches, knickerbockers, grandpa glasses, headgear, suspenders, they are CONSCIOUSLY looking ridiculous on PURPOSE, so if you give them the sideeye, joke's on you because they know it's aesthetically displeasing, so when you give the response, they've poked at your bourgeois sensibilities.

It's so full of studied artifice. I'd much rather deal with an actual Punk or Goth or Skaters (or my tribe. Geeks and Nerds) because they are genuinely into the look, the interests, the music, whatever it is that concerns the group.

hussaf on October 06, 2013, 11:17:23 PM
Terminal Lance
I really wanted to start smoking a pipe because I found my grandpas old one but I was too late.  Hipsters stole that joy from me.
Saru mo ki kara  ochiru

ACE on October 06, 2013, 11:22:28 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Some random old guy.
  • F**K em' they can't take a joke.
Are we talking about past hippies or present ones?

I was talking about the 60's. What we genericly refer to as Hippies now is the Bastard offspring off those two groups plus others.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:39:50 PM by ACE »
sent from yonder hill top using smoke signals

Slinky Wizard on October 07, 2013, 07:35:20 AM
Terminal Lance
  • Slinky Corps, Far East Imperial Shogun
  • スリンキー魔導士 sürïnkïï màdōshi
Because Hippies call me a baby killer.
 And I respond by saying "your point being?"
Beavis: Fuck of clintonian fag
Today at 01:23:04 AM

POGtastic on October 08, 2013, 08:56:39 AM
Terminal Lance
  • Amateur Writer
I don't hate hippies, and I'd like to think that most hippies don't hate me.

The hippie movement was a counterculture thing - it questioned a lot of traditional values such as materialism, Christianity, monogamy, attitudes on drugs, etc. They weren't kidding when they talked about Flower Power; they believed that if everyone could see past their petty differences and see each other as human beings, there would be love and peace instead of war. It's utopian, but it's a poignant view. These hippies did view the military as tools to enforce the status quo, but they didn't hate the people in the military. They viewed them more with pity and sympathy as otherwise innocent people used by the powerful to do bad things. While I mostly disagree with their worldview, (There are a lot of great things about our culture - for one, it's been proven to be the best way to get shit done) it's a relatively civil disagreement.

The people I actively dislike are probably better described as militant revolutionaries. You might have known the type - they're the ones who call troops baby-killers, think that 9/11 was committed by the New World Order, and believe that Republicans are all woman-hating fundamentalists who are the only people keeping the United States from becoming a glorious worker's paradise, free from exploitation and hardship. Instead of politely disagreeing with my worldview, as hippies are wont to do, the militant revolutionaries hate everything that I stand for and believe, and they see my very existence as being opposed to their ideas. They're right. I don't give a fuck about what a bunch of hippies do in San Francisco. They do their own thing, and it's great if they find happiness outside of the norms of our culture. The militant revolutionaries, on the other hand, are actively trying to destroy my way of life. And yep, I have a problem with that.
Starve the ego; feed the soul.

HardCoreTurtle on October 08, 2013, 09:08:12 AM
POG have I ever told you I love you? You should write a book, I'd read it.

gear queer deluxe on October 09, 2013, 09:55:44 PM
Terminal Lance
Instead of politely disagreeing with my worldview, as hippies are wont to do, the militant revolutionaries hate everything that I stand for and believe, and they see my very existence as being opposed to their ideas. They're right. I don't give a fuck about what a bunch of hippies do in San Francisco. They do their own thing, and it's great if they find happiness outside of the norms of our culture. The militant revolutionaries, on the other hand, are actively trying to destroy my way of life. And yep, I have a problem with that.

Rational humility is a quality most political hacks lack.