* News!

Oh hey, Gunny... Welcome to my Halloween 2014 Super Spooky Barracks Bash.
Meyer0331 on December 31, 2010, 11:26:41 PM
I ws an 0331 from 2000-2004. Got out, finished my degree and wanted to go back in, but I would have been too old for the federal law enforcement jobs I wanted when I would have gotten out, so I did a three year tour in the Army.

I'm interested in getting into the reserves. My age is borderline. has anyone here done it or know anybody who went back in after 6 years or thereabouts?

I've also heard its hard, like getting a crackhead off the pipe hard, getting into the reserves these days at all.

Meyer0331 on January 03, 2011, 05:46:05 PM
Nothing, Really? I'm going to call the Reserve recruiter on Thursday. I'm 37 (got out when I was 31) and I am prepared for LAUGHTER.

Moonbeam on January 03, 2011, 06:11:12 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Internet Sheriff ۞
When I was at meps last month there was a 36 year old going into the Army as an E-4 thanks to having his degree, why he wasn't going Officer I don't know but he was accepted AD sooo I would guess anything is possible.

Andy on January 03, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
Terminal Lance
  • I wish I could hate you to death
Nothing, Really? I'm going to call the Reserve recruiter on Thursday. I'm 37 (got out when I was 31) and I am prepared for LAUGHTER.
I don't think you'll have a problem. we had some crusty folks in my reserve unit. I guess it was about 1998 we had a guy that had ETSed from the Army in 81 or 82 join our reserve unit. He just had to pass the physical. We even had a crusty old MasterSgt in my reserver unit that ETSed from the Army in 74 or 75 that decided in the mid 80's he wanted to join the recerves and did. Hell, when I was in Iraq I met a crusty old reserve LtCol that had on a pair of Vietnamese jump wings from when he did a tour over there in the late 60's.
I know E-2s who could win Oscars with their lying/acting skills.

Meyer0331 on January 03, 2011, 06:24:47 PM
I don't think you'll have a problem. we had some crusty folks in my reserve unit. I guess it was about 1998 we had a guy that had ETSed from the Army in 81 or 82 join our reserve unit. He just had to pass the physical. We even had a crusty old MasterSgt in my reserver unit that ETSed from the Army in 74 or 75 that decided in the mid 80's he wanted to join the recerves and did. Hell, when I was in Iraq I met a crusty old reserve LtCol that had on a pair of Vietnamese jump wings from when he did a tour over there in the late 60's.

I am trying to go into the Marine Reserves where 37 is like Master Guns age (even if he looks 60).

3moose1 on January 03, 2011, 08:35:59 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Troll BN Pecker Checker
  • hot2trot

I am trying to go into the Marine Reserves where 37 is like Master Guns age (even if he looks 60).

lol, where did you hear that? Reserves promote sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. I think, THINK we have a guy who was in Desert Storm, and he's a msgt select now.

Terminal Douchebag.

Pippin on January 03, 2011, 08:58:07 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Mo' Fukn PIPPIN BITCHES
I met a guy this past summer who is 40 something and he's a Sgt in the reserves. It's possible, but probably with a few waivers. lol

toasterwings on January 03, 2011, 10:46:39 PM
Senior Lance
  • Wine-sipping Liberal Dick-suck
What's your MOS?

EDIT: Oh wait.  Duh.  Long day at work.

Depending on the unit, you may be able to go laong on a drill or two to see what they're like.  That might give you a better idea of what you're going in for, and if you even wanna put up with the hassle of getting back in.  FOr my own part, I understand that the reserves are basically crap right now, unless you're working up to deployment (which is happening less and less).  FWIW.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:48:24 PM by toasterwings »

code7 on January 03, 2011, 11:16:01 PM
What's your MOS?

EDIT: Oh wait.  Duh.  Long day at work.

Depending on the unit, you may be able to go laong on a drill or two to see what they're like.  That might give you a better idea of what you're going in for, and if you even wanna put up with the hassle of getting back in.  FOr my own part, I understand that the reserves are basically crap right now, unless you're working up to deployment (which is happening less and less).  FWIW.

:(

Dixie Normous on January 04, 2011, 07:24:11 PM
Terminal Lance
  • Ask me about my dildo collection!
  • Dumbass reservist / Vapor
If you're in the New England area, my unit is mobilizing in May and we might still need some bodies. PM me if you want the info for the Prior Service Recruiter.
It's one fucking weekend a month, pussy. Holy fuck.

I just pissed on your road Vapor.

gse on January 04, 2011, 07:42:04 PM
One thing to remember is that you have what is called a "constructive age." If you served 4 years then minus that from your actual age. Such as I was 36 when I got back in, minus the 4 years AD time and as far as the army was concerned I was only 32.

Meyer0331 on January 06, 2011, 11:25:20 AM
Well, I just called the local recruiter and he didn't

A. Laugh at me

or

B.
hang up on me

or

C. All of the above

so I'm pretty damn happy. heading down there with my Army and Marine DD-214's right now.

Meyer0331 on January 06, 2011, 12:28:09 PM
DENIED! I got to the recruiting station and he told me my "constructed age" could only be my real age minus my Marine Corps times, not my real age minus all my military time.

He was a regular recruiter though, so I'm going to hit up the Prior Service recruiter.

notnoremorse on January 06, 2011, 12:33:02 PM
Lazy recruiter is lazy. If you're shooting for the Reserves unless its changed in the past year the age waiver process isn't too harrowing.

Meyer0331 on January 06, 2011, 12:39:05 PM
Lazy recruiter is lazy. If you're shooting for the Reserves unless its changed in the past year the age waiver process isn't too harrowing.

Just called the Prior-Service recruiter and he said the same thing: my Army time would not count toward my constructed age so 37- 3 years 9 months= 33= 1 year too old=FML
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:44:09 PM by Meyer0331 »

notnoremorse on January 06, 2011, 01:01:04 PM
Keep shopping dude; age waivers aren't that hard to get.

Meyer0331 on January 06, 2011, 01:02:29 PM

What do you mean? Like recruiters in nearby cities?

notnoremorse on January 06, 2011, 01:03:37 PM

you're trackin brah. It's not super impossible like getting an age waiver to go the officer route.

Meyer0331 on January 06, 2011, 01:13:29 PM

you're trackin brah. It's not super impossible like getting an age waiver to go the officer route.

Yeah, good point...I'm in Austin so there are a lot of town within driving distance (Fort Worth, Dallas, San Antone, Corpus).

Scarynickname on February 27, 2011, 06:01:36 PM
Recruit
  • I was older than my drill instructors!
Any updates on this? I got out in 07 after 71/2 years and want to try the reserves. I'm 38, so maybe I won't need a waver.
"Anyone can make up a quote and put it on the internet"
George Washington